MVP Photon Review
The Photon is a pro-level overstable distance driver that combines a workable mid-flight with a predictable fade. It absorbs maximum speed and torque without getting flippy out of the hand, while its aggressive hyzer finish makes it accurate at big distances. Read this MVP Photon review to help decide which Photon in stock and for sale is right for you.
MVP Photon Plastics
- Neutron: The "flagship" blend, this premium plastic is stiffer and slicker than baseline Electron. Discs fly truest to their flight numbers in Neutron. Also available in a more gummy and flexible Soft variety.
- Cosmic Neutron: Identical to Neutron but with a multi-color "burst" design.
- Plasma: An eye-catching blend with an iridescent sheen. It has similar durability to Neutron and has a gummier and more flexible hand feel.
- Proton: Stiff and extremely durable, this blend has a translucent look. Discs fly more overstable in Proton and will maintain original flight patterns for years.
- Fission: This lightweight blend has air bubbles injected into the plastic. A Photon in lighter weights will be much easier for beginners and low-power players to control.
MVP Photon Flight Numbers
- Speed: 11
- Glide: 5
- Turn: -1.5
- Fade: 2.5
Subtle turn, high glide, and reliable fade combine to make the Photon a big distance bomber with pinpoint accuracy. Power players will get a bit of turn out of the hand, some flex in the mid-flight, and a very predictable hyzer finish. It will hold the line on pure hyzer lines, and the torque resistance to handle maximum power forehands. It is also an excellent wind-fighter.
- Diameter: 21.1cm
- Height: 1.4cm
- Rim Depth: 1.1cm
- Rim Width: 2.2cm
The Photon's flat top and low profile is common amongst MVP discs. The rim is wide and sharp, producing big skips when it hits the ground at the right angle. The 1.1cm rim depth keeps it from feeling too beefy in the hand. The Photon feels especially comfortable in forehand and thumber grips.
Released in 2015, the Photon was MVP's first 11-speed distance driver. This reliable and predictable mold is one of MVP's bestsellers, and is the type of disc that you can bag multiple versions in different plastics to cover a variety of shots and scenarios. The introduction of the lightweight Fission plastic allowed more low-power players to give the Photon a try.
Skill Level Recommendations
The Photon is a pro-level disc that requires above-average power and skill to control.
- Novice: Beginners should only try the Photon in low-weight Fission plastic.
- Intermediate: Will start off as an overstable utility disc that is great for hard hyzers, forehands, overhand thumbers, and skip shots. It will slowly break in and develop more glide and distance. Will always maintain a reliable hyzer fade.
- Advanced: Potential all-around workhorse, particularly for forehand-dominant players. Bag multiple Photons in different weights and plastic blends to cover more shot shapes.
- Pro: Centerpiece of the bag in the distance driver category. World Champion James Conrad keeps four different Photons in his bag, all in different stages of wear.